Globally, over 4 billion people don’t have sustainable (available, affordable, & accessible) broadband. Most of these users are un/underserved by existing coverage and service infrastructure; and live in rural and urban emerging markets. Thus, are denied the ability to benefit from real technology-driven economic growth.
Broadband is important because low digital and conventional literacy in these markets, means video (especially in local languages/dialects) presents an enhanced medium for information, knowledge, and power. For these users, the prevalent notion of “trickle-down broadband” is a death knell; as ROI of current options struggles to present a reliable pathway to sustainable broadband delivery.
HITCH is a cloud platform that enables curation and access to videos via a HITCH-designed (smart) WiFi hotspot that caches content, and lets users access it offline.
In our target markets, like Nigeria, broadband is unavailable, unaffordable, and inaccessible.
HITCH smart WiFi hotspots:
- Nurture and sustain economic opportunity, gender equality and empowerment, & social standing, using videos.
- Achieve significant savings from a multi-sided platform of customers and users, as well as other technological innovations, as the core of its model.
- Are owned/managed by local community operators, with whom it shares revenue from customers.
- Offering also includes: market-based information, freemium entertainment (from Nollywood, etc.), & off-grid energy access (recharging service for phones, LED appliances, etc.).
- Enables users improve capacity, output, & market opportunities, increasing incomes, and self-determination.
- Local community operators just turn on HITCH smart WiFi hotspot and service is automatically enabled.
- Users access free service by connecting to open SSID at HITCH smart WiFi hotspots; after which their devices automatically redirect to landing page (no further input required).
- HITCH smart WiFi hotspot interface is a locally-tested icon-driven modern web application, which does not require use of a Third-Party App Store, and runs on any browser on a WiFi-enabled device.
- Categorized videos are viewed by clicking on corresponding icons/links.
- Remote management is auto-enabled, with data periodically uploaded for informing management, support, or service decisions.